We recently connected with the guys over at Bestop to checkout the new and improved powerboards. From the previous generation, we asked what were the major improvements to make these a better choice compared to the competition and those of past models offered from Bestop.
Current new motor is Black with the following features:
- Has a label fixed to motor that tells manufacturing specs.
- Motor is completely sealed for water integrity.
- The speed of the motor has been slowed down to match OE board motors on deployment and retraction.
- All NX board production includes new motors.
- All Wired boards produced after April 2013 have new motors.
- Re positioned wire connection spade on exterior of motor housing to insure solid connection.
- Warranty rate currently is less than .08% of total motors.
New Brackets & Bushings
The aluminum compound mixture was changed on the brackets to increase strength and integrity. The casting molds on all brackets were redesigned to allow even metal flow. To help eliminate noise the gear pin and wedge pockets were modified and the wedge block was modified (made slightly smaller) to eliminate rubbing. The bracket thickness at pin location was increased. Gussets were added to all boards at foot were the board mounts for strength.
New Reaction Speed
Deployment speed and retraction speed are designed to mirror OE factory board speed EX. Lincoln Navigator, Ford F-150 Platinum and limited and Cadillac Escalade. Example 5 second delay in retraction when door closes.
Wireless Board Module Surface Install
Bestop uses 3M automotive Red tape (best in industry) You must clean surface prior with alcohol swabs.
All brackets are E coated prior to powder coating.
Installation instructions need to be followed:
- Boards must be manually cycled prior to motor being installed allowing proper alignment on linkage and boards.
- Due to vehicle body tolerance being different some models due require shimming of linkage.
Updated Reaction Noise
Redesign of linkage and changing of wedge block has eliminated this. Normal maintaining and cleaning is required.
Clearer Install Instructions
Constant improvements are being done please look at 2014 Chevy as example.
LED Stripes and Labels Updated
Adhesive tape has been upgraded.